Thursday, April 25, 2013
5 Unusual Foods that Will Boost Your Immune System
These foods may not even come up on your radar as part of a healthy lifestyle, but they are easy to include in your diet, and they a loaded with vitamins and minerals.
1. Prunes – It’s time to rethink prunes. No longer are they just for your grandparents. They have a high concentration of the antioxidant potassium which helps to maintain healthy blood pressure. What’s even better is that they can help promote bone density in women. A recent study shows that consuming prunes reduces the likelihood of bone fractures.
2. Beets – Give them a try, they are actually quite sweet and refreshing. Not only that, but they are loaded with vitamins and minerals including, magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, niacin, vitamins A and C, and iron. If that wasn’t enough, they also have fiber and folic acid, which is necessary for cell growth and repair.
3. Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potatoes have more than 300% of the daily value of vitamin A and C, which has a powerful anti-cancer effect on the body. They also have plenty of manganese, copper, and potassium.
4. Black Beans – They contain eight flavonoid antioxidants, which help to fight cancer. Studies have shown black beans are particularly good at fighting colon cancer. The abundance of vitamin B6 also known as folate, is essential in creating the amino acids that help fuel the brain. The high fiber content of black beans aids in digestion and cardiovascular health as well.
5. Quinoa – If you want a new source of protein, look no further. A cup of quinoa has 9 grams of protein and no cholesterol, compared to an egg which has six grams of protein and 195 mg of cholesterol. Quinoa also boosts brain power, because it contains 15 percent of the daily value of iron, which helps carry oxygen through the body to the brain, increasing alertness and stabilizing mood.
So eat outside the box and try these unusual yet powerful foods to boost health.