Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Foods that Fight Aging
· Legumes – Chock full of complex carbohydrates and fiber, legumes help keep a stable blood insulin level. They have no cholesterol, and are packed with antioxidants and protein.
· Watermelon – The antioxidants found in watermelon help repair the sun damage in skin cells.
· Tomatoes – Tomatoes contain the antioxidant lycopene, which can reduce the risk of some cancers, and keep the skin looking youthful.
· Cucumber – The skin of a cucumber is made from silica, which helps to build collagen in the skin.
· Olive Oil – Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats (good fats) which actually lower your LDL cholesterol. It is high in antioxidants, which improves skin’s elasticity.
· Nuts and seeds – Nuts and seeds are full of vitamin E, which helps to moisturize the skin by protecting cells against free radical attacks.
· Broccoli – There is a compound in broccoli called sulforaphane that increases the activity of protective enzymes in our cells.
· Salmon – The omega 3 fatty acids found in salmon help to reduce hypertension, lower triglycerides, and decrease your risk of heart attack.
· Whole grains – Whole grains help reduce the risk of diabetes because of they take longer to digest and do not cause spikes in blood sugar.
· Berries – Dark berries such as blueberries and raspberries are rich an antioxidants called anthocyanins which have been shown to slow the growth of certain cancers and improve brain function.